The main aim of acupuncture is to promote health and give relief from pain and suffering.
It is one of the three main branches of traditional Chinese medicine; the others are herbal medicine and tui na.
It is the method that has been in use over 2000 years.
In 1995 FDA declared acupuncture as the safe and effective treatment.
What is acupuncture?
It is the practice of inserting needles into acupuncture points of your body to achieve pain relief and healing.
Your acupuncturist is able to influence your health and sickness by stimulating certain areas along these acupoints. He can use fine and slender needles to stimulate those points. Now-a-days the stimulation can be achieved by applying electricity, magnets and lasers to the needles.
Working of acupuncture:
Acupuncture works by balancing the flow of energy levels also called as qi levels in your body. Qi consists of positive and negative energies. If you are a healthy person, the qi is balanced and flows well.
If you have any pain or illness, it results in the blockage hence preventing the qi from flowing along the correct paths to maintain that balance. Acupuncture treats illness and diseases by unblocking the qi.
Acupuncture is a holistic system that treats your body as a whole and it observes the illness as a disturbance somewhere in that whole. The actual working of acupuncture involves understanding the acupoints of your body and where the points that control various organs and bodily systems are.
It involves the use of pressure points often applied by inserting needles into your body at the acupoints and controlling those needles to achieve positive effects. During the acupuncture treatment, several types of opioids may be released into the central nervous system there by reducing the pain.
Use of acupuncture:
Acupuncture is beneficial in many ways. Some of those include:
- By inserting the needle between thumb and forefinger, you can get relieve from headache.
- Acupuncture can help to treat the conditions like asthma, migraines, diabetic neuropathy, arthritis, lower back pain, depression, painful menstruation and menopause.
- Acupuncture may alter the brain chemistry by changing the release of neurotransmitters and neurohormones. It regulates your body’s blood pressure, blood flow and your body’s temperature.
Side effects of acupuncture:
There are some risks due to acupuncture.
- It is a dangerous procedure that involves penetrating the needles into the skin. So there is a chance of infection to your skin.
- Possibility of nerve damage from the needles
- Due to deep needling in the chest or lower back areas can result in damage to the lungs or the kidneys.
- In rare cases there is also a possibility of bleeding in the area around the heart. This happens only if you have congenital abnormalities in the sternum.
First check your state to find out what are the requirements for practicing acupuncture. Each state consists of different regulations.
Before deciding to undergo acupuncture therapy, do your research and know the benefits and side effects. It is helpful for you.