Acupuncture is the technique, which involves insertion of thin and sterile needles into specific acupoints on your body, which exists on channels or meridians.
Meridians are the pathways in both the interior and exterior of your body.
When needles are inserted into these points, they can regulate in the way in which your body functions.
Acupuncture therapy helps through addressing the problem that is affecting your fertility like hypothyroidism (under functioning) or hyperthyroidism (over functioning).
Can acupuncture effectively treat infertility?
Generally, acupuncture along with some herbs has been used to treat the causes of infertility. Acupuncture along with herbs can be beneficial for you because of the possible effects of improved ovarian and follicular function.
Blood flow to the endometrium will be greatly increased with acupuncture therapy, thus helping to get a thick and rich endometrium lining.
Same as physical therapy, acupuncture is a process oriented technique of medical intercession. You need to take the treatment 3-4 months before the donor egg transfer, in vitro fertilization, or insemination.
The period plays a great role in producing therapeutic effect. You need to continue the treatment until 12th week of your pregnancy, because first trimester is the essential period for miscarriage.
Are there any risks associated with acupuncture for infertility?
Usually, acupuncture is associated with very minimal side effects. You will encounter miscarriage, if needles are inserted at wrong acupuncture points during your pregnancy.
So, you need to go to a therapist who is specialized in treating infertility problems. Acupuncture is not a technique for everyone regardless of your pathology or what type of medications you are using.
What type of infertility problems can be treated with acupuncture?
- Any infertility problem can be treated with acupuncture, including spasmed tubes.
- Acupuncture along with herbs help to treat elevated follicle stimulating hormone, idiopathic (unexplained infertility), frequent miscarriages, polycystic ovarian syndrome, luteal phase defect, hyperprolactinemia, and men affected with sperm-DNA-fragmentation.
- Acupuncture is effective for irregular ovulation.
- Acupuncture regulates the production of reproductive hormones and helps in the masturbation of eggs.
- It effectively relieves from PMS symptoms and also reduces stress, anxiety and trying-to-conceive frustrations.
- This therapy is effective for ovulatory problems, hormonal imbalances or endometriosis, which are the major causes for a woman not getting pregnant.
- Men can also use this therapy effectively to treat the conditions like erectile dysfunction or sperm related problems like low sperm count.
One thing you need to keep in mind is, acupuncture is not effective solution if the structural problems like blocked fallopian tubes or improperly formed epididymis are the main causes of infertility.
When you use acupuncture for infertility; it is better to do more than less. Thus, you can effectively use the acupuncture to stimulate your egg production and regular ovulation during the first half of the menstrual cycle and it also provides ultimate hormonal balance during the second half or luteal phase.