Acupuncture therapy is a traditional and ancient Chinese practice consists of many folk medical ways which are based on spirituality.
More than 12 million Americans are using acupuncture therapy for pain relief.
The vital energy or chi/qi in your body flows through channels, are also known as meridians.
Meridians consist of branches which connect to bodily organs or functions. Any imbalance to these chi levels is considered as illness.
The ancient practices such as acupuncture therapy, herbal therapy, and qi gong exercise are the main considerations to restore the imbalance in your body.
What is Acupuncture Therapy?
Acupuncture therapy involves insertion of very thin, stainless steel needles into various parts of your body. To produce better stimulation, low frequency electric currents are also applied to the needles.
Acupuncture therapy is an effective means of stimulating acupuncture points with lasers, ultrasound, and electricity.
The procedures which can also be used in conjunction with acupuncture therapy are:
- Auriculotherapy – Placement of needles in the ear
- Acupressure – Use of manual pressure
- Moxibustion – Burning of floss or herbs which are applied to the skin
- Injection of sterilized water
- Homeopathic solutions which are inserting through the needles
This therapy is applied to the acupuncture points which are supposed to be located throughout your body. During the past 2000 years there were 365 points located which represented as the days of the year. Gradually this number is increased to around 2000.
Working of acupuncture points:
Your acupuncture specialist uses high grade surgical needles to stimulate the acupuncture points on your body, but this is particularly based on the symptoms of the disease. Traditional acupuncture therapy consists of a combination of acupuncture points being used.
Most of the acupuncturists suggest the traditional Chinese view of health and disease. An acupuncture therapy along with herbal remedies and other related ways are considered as valid approaches in curing your disease.
Still it is not exactly known how acupuncture therapy can relieve your pain. Some theories suggest that pain impulses are blocked from reaching the spinal cord and the brain. While, another theory suggests that acupuncture stimulates the body to produce narcotic like substances which reduce the pain.
Acupuncture therapy can cure:
- Chronic pain in the neck and back
- Behavioral problems
- Migraines and headaches
- Ligament and muscle tear
- Genitourinary conditions
- Problems with the stomach and intestine
- Muscle and nerve problems
- Injury related pain such as strains
- Cardiovascular conditions
Diagnosis before conducting acupuncture therapy:
The diagnosis of a patient includes many things like:
- Patient’s medical history and lifestyle
- Examining the skin and tongue
- Listening to breathing sounds
- Pulse recording
The electrical properties in your body can become imbalanced several weeks or months before the physical symptoms occur.
Side effects of acupuncture therapy:
- Harm to internal organs
- Improper sterilization of the needles can cause infection
- Weakening of your body’s system due to the reaction of needles
- Bleeding in the needle inserted areas