Laughter is the best medicine, as the saying goes. Everyone feels good when they laugh. It is the opposite of feeling stressed and encourages our body to relax and release endorphins. The role of a laughter therapist is to make it easier for the client to laugh. The body can not differentiate between a real or fake laugh, therefore the benefits are the same.
Reasons that laughter is beneficial to our bodies includes lowering levels of stress, improving the immune system, allowing muscles to relax, reducing pain, reducing blood pressure and increasing a happy, healthy outlook. Those who participated in laughter therapy have found a reduction in healthcare costs. They also have healthier arteries and blood flow.
Improve your life with laughter
- Laughter is contagious so try to be around people who are laughing and smiling
- Even anticipating a laugh reduces stress hormones, so plan some fun into your week
- Cannot get into meditation? Laugh it produces gamma waves in the brain, just as meditation does. They help you feel focused and think more clearly.
Laughter yoga incorporates breathing, stretching, clapping and laughing exercises. The laughter yoga therapy allows the person to experience endorphin release, which makes you feel great and relaxes the entire body. This has a great effect on reducing stress or muscle tension.
Easy ways to laugh more
- Watch a favorite standup comedian on YouTube
- Listen to a funny podcast during your commute
- Call a few friends and meet and discuss the funny situations.
- Re-watch 80’s comedy that always cracks you up.
- Play fetch with an energetic dog, friends if you have to. A dog is bound to crack you up eventually.
Working and playing with others
When potential romantic partners laugh together, it is likely there is an attraction between them.
Sharing a laugh fosters closeness between two strangers. Strangers are more likely to open up if they are made to laugh.
Thank partner for the funny memories
To strengthen a relationship, share gratitude and laughter. Remembering shared funny experiences can improve relationship satisfaction in couples.
Laughter at work
Workplace leaders who showed a sense of humor increase innovation in research and development functions.
All together now
When working in a group, bring your humor laughter has been shown to aid group dynamics.
Smile when you need a lift
You might think you smile because you are happy, but it works the other ways too. Research shows the physical act of smiling helps reduce stress and can improve your mood.
Laughter therapy is beneficial in the long run because it allows us to deal with stress or pain in a more positive manner. It also makes us understand that laughter does not need to be synonymous with happiness, but can encourage feeling of happiness instead. Patients learn to laugh at anxiety, stress, and anger. Even if it fakes laughter, it lifts our spirits since our bodies cannot tell the difference anyway.