Posted on Jul 03, 2007 | Comments 0
Most of you in recent years are looking for alternative health medicine for treatment of illness.
It is a practice that generates a greater deal of controversy both inside and outside of the traditional world of medicine.
What is alternative health medicine?
Generally the most accepted definition of alternative health medicine is a method of treatment or substance that is untested or unproven using accepted scientific standards.
Most of the common types of alternative health medicine include therapies, herbs, supplements and some activity programs that fall outside of traditional medical practice and are doubtful in terms of safety and effectiveness.
For instance, acupuncture, massage, meditation, herbal teas and plant extracts are popular forms of alternative health medicine that many medical doctors say are ineffective.
Why is alternative health medicine so popular?
As most of you are facing the problems like aches, pain, and illness that come with aging. For those who suffering with these conditions alternative health medicine work well. While in some cases traditional medicine has failed to produce a cure and hence patients go in search of other options for their medical condition.
Most of you believe that natural methods of treating illness are better than traditional medicine.
What are the risks of alternative health medicine?
Most of the risks associated with alternative health medicine come from the use of substances that are untested, ineffective and unsafe. For instance,
- Some of the herbal remedies are used to improve memory, increase metabolism, or even cure diseases like cancer and heart disease.
- Some alternative health medicine may actually cause physiological harm when taken in excessive amounts. Ephedra is one well-published recent example.
- If you are suffering with some serious health conditions such as cancer, heart disease or some other chronic illness, most of you will give up traditional treatments that have been proven effective in favor of alternative treatments that are of questionable value. Hence you will put your lives in risk by treating the illness with unproven alternative health medicine.
- The other common risk associated with alternative health medicine is when you use both traditional and alternative treatment methods but not revealing this with your doctor.
- As you already know that prescription medications when interacted with alternative health medicines like herbs and plant extracts can produce negative effect on your health.
How to recognize potentially risky alternative health medicine?
If a product, substance, or therapy sounds too good to be true then it probably works well. Though, you may already be familiar with this rule, it is often true when it comes to alternative health medicine.
Be careful of any product that claims to be “an ancient remedy”, “miraculous”, “a secrete formula”, “a scientific break through”, or posses some other attributes that theoretically makes it advanced to more traditional medicines.
If you want to take any of the alternative therapy such as biofeedback, reflexology, acupuncture or some other alternative health medicine then don’t forget to check the qualifications of the therapy practitioner before undergoing treatment. You should also check the following things:
- What kind of training the practitioner has received?
- The training is from a reputable source or not.
At last, ask your doctor about any form of alternative health medicine that you are considering. If you don’t feel comfortable then search for a practitioner with whom you can feel more at ease and freely discuss the alternative treatment that you are considering. Don’t forget that the medical professional has the education and experience to help you make good.
Posted in: Alternative Health