Posted on Aug 21, 2008 | Comments 3
Peppermint is an herb that is being in use for many years for holistic and traditional medicinal purposes. Most of the studies proved that peppermint greatly helps to alleviate from irritable bowel syndrome.
Peppermint essential oil is extracted from Mentha piperita of the Labiatae family and is also known as balm mint or brandy mint.
This refreshing and cooling peppermint essential oil is used in aromatherapy in order to stimulate your mind, improve the mental ability and to improve your focus, while reducing the redness, cooling the skin, and reducing itchiness and irritation.
This essential oil is also used to ease migraine, sinus, colon, headaches, and chest congestion and also improves your digestive system.
Peppermint essential oil has a fresh, sharp, menthol smell and is clear pale yellow in color and watery in viscosity. There are various health benefits of peppermint essential oil. They include:
1. Proper dental care: Peppermint essential oil has powerful antiseptic properties and is effectively used for dental care. This oil helps to relieve from bad breathe and keeps your teeth and gums free of germs. Peppermint oil is added in most of the tooth pastes. Toothaches are also effectively treated with it.
2. Headaches and nausea: Peppermint essential oil is a wonderful home remedy for headaches and nausea. Apply much diluted portions of peppermint oil on your forehead to get relief from headaches.
3. Indigestion: This oil is very helpful in indigestion. Add few drops of peppermint essential oil in a glass of water and drink it after your meal to get relief from indigestive properties. This oil acts as carminative and helps effectively in removing the gas.
This is a best tonic for those who are suffering with low appetite. Also it helps you in relieving from upset stomach and motion sickness. Peppermint oil along with caraway oil acts as a good remedy for treating heat burn.
4. Stress: Similar to various other essential oils, peppermint essential oil is also proved to give relief from stress, mental exhaustion and depression because of its refreshing nature. Also, this is proved as effective remedy in reducing anxiety and restlessness.
5. Pain relief: External usage of peppermint oil gives you relief from pain. The existence of calcium antagonism in peppermint oil helps in removing the pain. It has wonderful cooling properties and reduces the fever also.
6. Skin care: Menthol in peppermint oil is good for skin care. It has cooling properties that help to nourish your dull skin and improves your oily skin.
7. Respiratory problems: Menthol in this oil helps to clear your respiratory tract. This is an efficient expectorant that gives you instantaneous or temporary relief from various respiratory problems such as sinusitis, nasal congestion, cold, asthma, cough and bronchitis. Due to these effects, this oil is used in various cold rubs. When you rub with this oil on your chest, you will get great relief from nasal and respiratory problems.
8. Irritable bowel syndrome: Peppermint oil has effective muscle relaxing properties that help in treating irritable bowel syndrome.
9. Urinary tract infection: This oil is effectively used to treat urinary tract infection.
10. Hair care: The oil gives cooling effect on your head and helps in removing the dandruff and lice.
11. Immune system: The oil boosts your immunity to various diseases and helps you in alleviating various diseases.
12. Blood circulation: Peppermint oil improves blood circulation.
Posted in: Alternative Medicine