Posted on Jun 02, 2008 | Comments 0
Probiotics are dietary supplements, which contain potentially beneficial micro-organisms such as bacteria and yeast. Usually, these microorganisms are found in the human gut.
You will find probiotics in the form of dietary supplements and foods. You can use them as complementary and alternative medicine.
Most of you prefer to use probiotics in order to fight against illnesses and support general wellness.
Health benefits of taking probiotics:
There are various reasons why most of you prefer to use probiotics for health purpose. Friendly bacteria are essential for proper growth of the immune system, for proper digestion and absorption of foods and nutrients, and for protecting against the micro-organisms which cause diseases.
The need of probiotics for each person is different. Interaction between you and the micro-organisms in your body, and among the microorganisms themselves can be vital to your health and wellbeing.
There are basically two major ways in which the bacterial balancing act can be thrown off:
1. Most of you prefer to use probiotics to get rid of the side effects from antibiotics used for diarrhea, gas or cramping. Somebody use probiotics to relieve from the symptoms of lactose intolerance; this is the condition in which the gut lacks enzymes which are essential for the digestion of sugar in the milk and this condition can also lead to gastrointestinal symptoms.
2. Your body’s balance will be disturbed by the unfriendly micro-organisms like disease causing yeast, bacteria, parasites and fungi. The research showed that probiotics can halt these unfriendly bacteria and suppress the growth of diseases like:
- Skin infections
- Inflammatory bowel syndrome, for instance crohn’s disease and ulcerative colitis
- Irritable bowel syndrome
- Vaginal infections
- Infection due to bacterium called as Helicobacter pylori. This bacterium can cause ulcers and various types of stomach inflammation
- Respiratory and stomach infections that your child gets in a day care
- Infectious diarrhea
- Tooth decay and periodontal disease
- Urinary tract infection
- Atopic dermatitis in your children
- Bladder cancer
Risks associated with probiotics:
- Scientifically, the safety of probiotics has not been studied. But, the side effects of probiotics are mild and digestive. But, some people experience more serious side effects.
- They can cause infection, which can only be treated with antibiotics, particularly in people with underlying health condition.
- Probiotics can also lead to unhealthy metabolic movements, gene transfer or over stimulation of your immune system.
Consider the below points when you decide to use probiotics:
- If you are thinking about to take probiotics as complementary and alternative medicine, first you need to consult your health care provider.
- The effect from a probiotic component does not necessarily hold for others.
- If you take probiotics and experience the effects that bother you, then immediately consult your health care provider.
So, till now you are aware of how probiotics help you and what their side effects are. Consult your health care provider and ask what type of probiotics are beneficial for you.
Posted in: Alternative Medicine