Fibromyalgia is a disorder that causes chronic, widespread pain and response to pressure that is painful. It is a condition of being hyper-aware of environmental stimuli including pain, smell, vibration, light, sound etc.
People with Fibromyalgia may also have trouble with swallowing, with their bowel movement and abnormalities with the bladder.
Fatigue, anxiety and depression are also associated with Fibromyalgia. Nine out of ten patients who report this disorder are females.
There could be a number of factors responsible for the presence of this disorder: genetic predisposition could be a reason. Stress and other psychological factors may also be responsible.
Dopamine dysfunction, abnormal serotonin metabolism and other factors may also cause Fibromyalgia. While conventionally this problem is treated with anti depressants, anti seizure medication and dopamine agonists, alternative treatments may also be tried such as:
Herbs and supplements
- S-adenosylmethionine (SAMe) is seen to help sufferers of Fibromyalgia by reducing the number of tender points and depression. Also improvement was noted in fatigue, morning stiffness and mood.
- A magnesium supplement is also seen to help with pain and tenderness associated with Fibromyalgia.
- Sometimes the presence of this disorder is attributed to deficiency of Vitamin D so that a Vitamin D supplement is very often seen to improve symptoms.
- 5-hydroxytryptophan (5-HTP) is a supplement thought to work by increasing serotonin in the brain so that pain modulating systems of the brain are positively impacted. Stiffness, anxiety, sleep, fatigue and pain may all be helped.
- Other herbal remedies help with improving sleep patterns and energy levels as well.
Alternative therapies for Fibromyalgia
- Acupuncture is thought to improve symptoms by changing release of neurotransmitters so that pain tolerance is improved. A few weeks of therapy can help with alleviating chronic pain.
- Swedish massage involving long strokes, friction techniques and kneading is also thought to help by stimulating better circulation and the metabolism. Deep layers of muscle are targeted to reduce tension.
- Biofeedback is a recommended therapy for fibromyalgia and may help greatly to control pain. The mind body relaxation techniques used in Biofeedback can reduce stress and chronic pain.
- Homeopathy’s very small doses of medication are seen to help patients fight symptoms by stimulating the body to improve its defense mechanisms.
- Meditation is seen to improve symptoms by helping patients get in touch with their spiritual sides. It can help promote feelings of happiness and serenity, thereby promoting management of symptoms.