There are certain basic tenets and principles of alternative and complementary treatments that have a healing impact on the entire organism and offer a holistic cure which is making more and more people turn to it:
- The Healing Power of Nature versus Medical intervention. Alternative therapies concentrate on equipping the body with the right tools to fight disease and in permitting nature to heal.
- Treating the whole person rather than the symptoms. As against a plethora of medications that may be prescribed by main stream medicine to treat the symptoms of a disease, the aim of alternative therapies is to treat the entire person and to rid him or her of their disease. Physical, spiritual, mental, emotional, genetic, environmental, and social factors may all be taken into account.
- Do not harm is the underlying aim of all treatments. So there should be no side effects and if some symptoms may help get rid of a disease, they shouldn’t be suppressed.
- Identifying and treating the cause. Symptoms are just a sign that a body is fighting against its disease; suppressing those may be meaningless without reaching the root of the problem and treating that rather than individual symptoms.
- Increasing immunity and strengthening the body as a whole helps prevent disease in the first place. When it comes to illness and disease, prevention is always better than cure.
- The physician should ideally be a teacher that guides his charges and motivates and empowers them to make wise lifestyle choices in terms of nutrition and ultimate good health.