Herpes zoster (or zoster) is the common name for shingles in most regions and refers to a viral disease of the skin. The disease is characterised by occurrence of blisters and painful rashes on the skin, but in a limited area/ one side of the body. Though shingles can occur anywhere on the entire body, it is noted that most cases of shingles report a stripe of blisters with the wrap stretching around either the right or the left side of the torso.
The condition is caused by the same virus which causes chickenpox, that is, varicella- zoster virus. And though shingles are very painful, they do not have any life threatening consequences.
There are many medicines ways to curb shingles but for those who are averse to these conventional modes, here are some alternative ways of treating shingles:
- Studies show that shingles causing viruses are affected adversely and positively by two natural amino acids- lysine and arginine respectively. Both these amino acids come from foods one must thus avoid food with arginine like tomatoes, buts, chocolates, cashews, grapes etc. until the shingles outbreak passes. Also consumption of lysine rich foods like meats, fish, cheese, milk, yogurt and other proteins and vegetables can help suppress shingle causing virus.
- A cool bath: Many have observed that a relaxing cold water bath helps ease the pain from the shingles. Also while the cold water bath diffuses the discomfort associated with shingles, it also keeps the body clean and maintains a hygiene level which is essential when suffering from this viral disease. Also note that wet compresses can also be used as a remedy to shingles; they work the same way as cold baths.
- Acupuncture seems to work when used as an alternative way to curb the shingles. It is one of the most effective alternative treatments which basically comprises of putting pressure on certain pressure points present in the human body.
- Apple Cider Vinegar, long for ACV is one of the most widely used cure for shingles amongst those who resort to alternative treatment. ACV can be sipped in form of a beverage (but only in diluted form), can be used in food like as a dressing to salads etc. and can also be applied onto the skin area affected by shingles. Many individuals suffering from shingles have found this to be very effective, but one should not consume extremely high amounts of it and even when applying onto the skin it is better to dilute it somewhat.
- Aloe Vera:The gel from Aloe Vera plant has been used for many of its benefits which include the soothing and cooling effect it has on the skin. Application of Aloe Vera gel has been recorded to give instant pain relief. Shingles are very painful and most individuals suffering from it find it difficult to ease the pain and get a good night’s sleep. This gel application counters the pains, helps one sleep well and also cures the shingles completely in time. The tubes of the gel are easily available at pharmacies.