Posted on Jul 28, 2008 | Comments 0
Laughter therapy is the best medicine for various ailments, according to health care professionals, doctors and patients.
According to the situation, finding the humor and laughing freely with others is a powerful remedy for stress.
Also, laughter therapy is a good coping method for those who are suffering from a deadly disease like cancer.
Some of the psychological responses to laughter therapy include increased circulation, respiration, digestive and hormonal enzyme secretion, blood pressure control, increased muscle flexion, improved immune system functioning, raise in infection fighting T-cell levels, B-cells and disease fighting proteins called as Gamma-interferon.
Laughter therapy greatly triggers the production of endorphins, which are the body’s natural painkillers and also creates a wide sense of safety. Here are the therapeutic benefits of laughter therapy:
Laughter Therapy to Boost the Immune System:
Researchers confirmed that once after exposing to the humor therapy, generally there is an increase in activity level within your immune system.
- Laughter increases the natural killer cells both in number and activity level, which are helpful for fighting against the viral infected cells and some forms of cancer and tumor cells.
- With this therapy, there is an increase in the number of activated T-cells. Various numbers of T-cells are waiting in your body for activation. Whenever you laugh, it is the indication for your immune system to turn on the activation.
- Increase in immunoglobulin A level takes place. This fights against the infections of upper respiratory tract.
- There will be an Increase in the level of gamma interferon. This gives signal to various components of your immune system to turn on.
Laughter Therapy to Decrease the Stress Hormones:
According to the research, laughter greatly decreases the level of stress hormones that contract the blood vessels and suppress your immune activity.
- Laughter decreases the levels of epinephrine.
- Dopamine levels are also decreased. This hormone is involved in the fight response and is mainly linked with high blood pressure.
- Laughter is one type of aerobics. It provides a workout to your diaphragm and increases your body’s ability of oxygen usage.
- Laughter therapy enhances your positive emotions, thus acting as a tool to help fight against the disease.
- When laughter is used along with a conventional treatment, it greatly reduces your pain and helps in the healing process.
Various other benefits of laughter therapy include:
- Belly laugh greatly helps in muscle relaxation. When you are laughing, the muscles inside your belly that don’t participate in the laugh get relaxed. Once after you finish laughing, the muscles that participated in the laughter begin to relax.
- Laughter therapy greatly reduces at least four of neuroendocrine hormones that are associated with response to the stress. These hormones include: cortisol, epinephrine, dopac, and growth hormone.
- Laughter strengthens your immune system.
- While laughing, you will forget about the pains like aches, arthritis, etc.
- Laughter greatly provides better cardiac conditioning, particularly for those who are unable to do physical activity.
- With laughter, women get great benefit than men in controlling high blood pressure.
- Belly laugh empties your lungs from excess air and cleanses them. This is same as deep breathing.
There is no need to go to any therapist for laughter therapy. It is totally free and you will get various health benefits of laughter. There are no side effects associated with laughter therapy.
Posted in: Alternative Medicine
Comments are closed.