Posted on Jul 07, 2008 | Comments 0
Balneotherapy is the treatment of diseases by bathing. This therapy includes cold or hot water, massage through moving water, stimulation or relaxation.
Along with bathing, the therapist also uses modalities like physical therapy, hydrotherapy, massage [massage therapy], mud therapy, physical exercises, steam baths, inhalation of water vapor and drinking mineral water as a part of the treatment for both health and preservation.
Healing with balneotherapy:
- Hot spring bathing gradually increases your body’s temperature and helps in destroying the harmful viruses and germs.
- Bathing in hot springs increases the supply of oxygen-rich blood all over the body, thus bringing enhanced nourishment to the essential organs and tissues.
- Thermal bathing raises the hydrostatic pressure on your body, thus increasing the blood circulation and also cell oxygenation. Improved blood supply helps in dissolving and eliminating the toxins from your body.
- Thermal bathing enhances your body’s metabolism. Also, it stimulates the secretions of the intestinal tract and also the liver, thus helping in digestion.
- Repeated bathing in hot springs can greatly help in normalizing the functions of endocrine glands and the functioning of your body’s autonomic nervous system.
- There are high amounts of negative ions in mineral springs. This can greatly help in promoting the feelings of psychological and physical wellbeing.
- Trace amounts of minerals like sulfur, carbon dioxide, lithium, magnesium and calcium are all absorbed by your body, which gives the therapeutic effects to different body organs and structures. These therapeutic effects include: stimulation of your immune system, mental and physical relaxation, improved immunity, creation of endorphins, and controlled gland functioning.
- Applying mineralized thermal water on your skin shows great therapeutic effects on diseases of your skin such as dermatitis, fungal infection and psoriasis. Sometimes, mineral water can also be used to heal the wounds and various other skin diseases.
Health conditions that can be treated with balneotherapy:
- Chronic skin diseases
- Chronic gynecological diseases
- Chronic mild respiratory diseases
- Chronic rheumatoid arthritis
- Chronic gastrointestinal diseases
- Vibration disorder
- Psychosomatic disorders
- Stress-related disorders
- Metabolic diseases like obesity, gout and diabetes
- Functional recovery or central and peripheral
- Sequelae of trauma
- Autonomic nervous system dysfunction
- Circulatory diseases like mild or moderate hypertension
But, before going to consider balneotherapy for the above mentioned conditions, it is better to discuss with your doctor and also with the specialized therapist in balneotherapy to know whether the treatment is beneficial for you or not.
Posted in: Alternative Treatment