Aromatherapy can be used to treat ailments, ease anxiety and depression, sooth nerves, and eliminate insomnia. Also, this therapy is used to treat acne and is a great non toxic way to treat mild acne on your face and body.
Various essential oils have wonderful acne treatment properties. Each time you apply the essential oil on your skin, it should be diluted with any of the carrier oils such as apricot kernel oil or vegetable oil.
Essential oils are very powerful and are in use for thousands of years to cure various physical and mental conditions. When the essential oils are applied to the problem area, they improve circulation and also remove the waste matter.
These oils have wonderful antibacterial properties. They cleanse your skin deeply and help skin return to normal condition by balancing the secretions of sebaceous glands.
Different types of essential oils used in aromatherapy for acne cure:
Look for oils that have anti-inflammatory, astringent and balancing properties for acne cure.
1. Tea tree oil: This oil is a natural organic cosmetic, so there are no side effects with this kind of treatment. This oil is extracted from Melaleuca tree that usually grows in Australia. This oil has anti-fungal and anti-septic properties.
It should only be applied on your skin and not taken internally. Mix 5% of tea tree oil in 95% of Aloe Vera gel. Apply this blend to clean your skin.
2. Lavender oil: This oil has antiseptic properties. Dilute this oil with witch hazel and apply on to the affected areas.
3. Jasmine essential oil: This warming and soothing oil has anti-bacterial properties that revitalizes and stimulates your skin. This oil can also be used in perfumes because of its wonderful aroma.
4. Myrrh essential oil: This oil is extracted from Commiphora myrrha. It has warm and slightly musty smell and is pale yellow to amber in color. This oil has anti-inflammatory, antiseptic, and sedative properties. It is non-irritant and non-sensitizing, but when applied in high doses acts as uterine stimulant, which is dangerous during pregnancy.
5. Sandalwood essential oil: This oil is extensively used for dry, cracked and chapped skin and effectively reduces acne and rashes and is also used in various skincare products. Sandalwood has antimicrobial properties making it a popular herbal antiseptic for treating minor skin abrasions. Also, it cleanses and conditions the skin leaving it moisturized, free of germs and protected from the harmful rays of the sun.
6. Ylang ylang essential oil: It is beneficial for any type of skin, but is more beneficial for oily skin. This oil balances the production of oil and decreases excessive oiliness. This oil has anti-bacterial properties that help to control acne and blemishes. It smoothes and softens the skin and stimulates new cell growth.
Some other oils for aromatherapy for acne cure:
In addition to the above oils, other oils containing following properties can also be used in aromatherapy for acne cure:
Oils with anti-inflammatory properties: Ex. Roman and German chamomile, helichrysum, frankincense, and patchouli. Oils with these properties reduce painful irritation and swelling around the acne region.
Oils with astringent properties: Ex. frankincense, juniper, neroli, rosewood, palmarosa, geranium, and cedarwood. These oils control oiliness of the skin.
Oils with balanced properties: Ex. helichrysum, palmarosa, geranium, and rosemary. These oils normalize oil production and improve the skin condition.
Oils with antiseptic properties: Ex. petitgrain, patchouli, niaouli and palmarosa.