What is Aromatherapy?
In aromatherapy plant materials and aromatic plant oils, like essential oils, and other aromatic compounds are used as a source of alternative medicine. The main focus of this therapy is to alter one’s mood, cognitive perception, psychological or physical well being.
Chakras are energy points or knots in the subtle body. Subtle body does not refer to the physical body and these energy points are the meeting points of the subtle (non-physical) energy channels, called ‘nadiis’. Nadiis are channels in the subtle body through which the life force (prana), or vital energy moves. Though tantric texts suggest the existence of many chakras in the subtle human body but there are seven chakras that are considered to be the most important ones. In Sanskrit, chakra means wheel and in the yogic context it means ‘vortex or whirlpool’. The concept of chakra features in Hinduism and Buddhism and in yogic beliefs.
Connection Between Aromatherapy and Chakras
There are seven chakras and to enhance the function of each chakra you might want to use aromatherapy. The idea is to enhance the chakras with the use of the essential oils so that your mind and subtle body are both at ease. Some of the essential oils and aromatic oils that help the chakras to perform better are as follows:
- The first chakra is also called the root chakra or ‘Muladhara’. It supports the basic needs, the primal instincts and the impetus to survive. Patchuli, cedarwood, sandalwood, and vetiver help to enhance this chakra. You might use these oils separately or you can try and blend them.
- The second chakra is referred to as the Sacral chakra and is called ‘Svadhisthana’. It governs the sexual needs and bases itself on creation, procreation and familial areas. The essential oils that are most effective in this case are rose, rosemary, ylang-ylang, juniper, sandalwood, and jasmine.
- The third or Solar Plexus chakra is called Manipura. All your thoughts on ego, personality, self empowerment, integration, and the feeling of being are based on this chakra. Use oils like Juniper, lavender, bergamot, rosemary, and vetiver for this one.
- The fourth chakra centers on the heart and is called Anahata. Insight and intuition are bettered with the help of oils like Cedarwood, rose, and sandalwood.
- The fifth chakra deals with the throat and is also called Vishuddha. Your ability to express, communicate, voice your will power and your thoughts are all based on this chakra. Take special care of this one with the help of Lavender and patchouli.
- Eyes are important to every being and that is what the sixth chakra is all about. It is called Ajna and oils like Geranium, lavender, rosemary, and spearmint are perfect for it.
- The final chakra is called the crown chakra and is called Sahasrara. Your spiritual awareness, connection to the universe and your wisdom are all based on this chakra. Take good care of it with the help of aromatic oils like jasmine, and frankincense.