Posted on Jun 29, 2007 | Comments 0
Ayurveda means “the science of life”.
Ayurvedic medicine was first developed in Indian subcontinent.
It is a branch of holistic medicine.
Ayurvedic medicine equally emphasizes your body, mind and spirit.
Like other holistic medicines, ayurvedic medicine is based on the concept of balance and harmony in the function of the body.
The treatment methods are used in meditation, herbs, breathing therapies, nutritional intervention, massage, exercise, and sunlight.
Ayurvedic medicine is widely used in western countries and is more than just a system for curing illness. It is regarded as a system for maintaining health. It focuses on your holistic health rather than physical body.
Like many other holistic medicines, the focus of ayurvedic medicine is on maintaining balance. In the case of ayurvedic medicine, it maintains balance between the essences of fire, air, water, spirit, and earth.
There are eight different branches of ayurvedic medicine. Ayurvedic physician must undergo training on these eight branches. They are:
- Internal medicine
- General surgery and anatomy
- Eye, ear, nose, and throat diseases
- Fertility and virility
- Rejuvenation and nutrition
Ayurvedic medicine is becoming more popular in the United States. The demand for ayurvedic herbs has prompted manufacturers to conform to standards in extraction, manufacturing, packaging and labeling.
Benefits of ayurvedic medicine:
- The main aim of ayurvedic medicine is prevention. They used to reduce the indigestible toxins which attract viruses and comprise autoimmune processes and responses.
- Exercise and meditation therapies are beneficial to your body. They lower the blood pressure, reduces weight, and controls diet and addiction.
- Ayurveda treats your diseases with some herbal mixtures and other organic foods and substances.
- Ayurveda is useful for some chronic diseases such as diabetes, heart ailments and cancer.
- Some difficult diseases like asthma and tumor growths are managed effectively by these medicines.
- These medicines mainly stresses on four elements to maintain the balance and equanimity of your mind. These elements are food habits, activities, sleeping habits and sexual habits.
Side effects of ayurvedic medicine:
The herbal components, minerals and other natural substances in ayurvedic medicine do contain active ingredients. These are harmful for you if you taken them with certain conditions or large doses.
Consult your health care provider before taking any ayurvedic medicine or supplement to be certain that it won’t interfere with conventional medical treatment. Ayurvedic medicine focuses much on prevention of diseases as on occurring it. Hence, it is one part of your lifestyle that is supported by the ancient philosophies.
Posted in: Ayurveda