Whenever anyone experiences severe skeletal or muscular pain, they tend to visit professionals who are able to provide an appropriate solution to release the pain. Now the question arises whom to visit? Whether one should go to a chiropractor or a physiotherapist? The aim of both these professions is more or less similar.
They try to find out a solution to heal your body from pain especially neck pain, back pain, lifting injuries, sporting injuries and so on. The difference between these two professionals is that chiropractor usually uses manipulation whereas a physiotherapist depends on the mobilization techniques.
What is Chiropractic Manipulation?
Chiropractic is a well known health care system which is based on the scientific idea; they believe body has self-healing and self-regulating power. Chiropractors intend to improve the function of the nervous system with the help of chiropractic adjustments concentrating mainly on the spine, pelvis and skull. They tend to remove any obstacle which is causing the pain and restricting the normal body movement.
Chiropractors adjust the spinal joints and limbs using their hands wherever they detect restricted movement. Soft, gentle and specific techniques help to bring back normal body movement. They usually treat chronic and severe neck and back pain, tension headaches, sciatica, extreme joint pain, and vertigo.
What is Physiotherapy Mobilization Technique?
Physiotherapy is a health care discipline which intends to improve and recover people who are suffering from movement disorders with the help of exercise, education, advocacy and adapted equipment. A physiotherapist heals your body from pain with the help of certain massage and manipulation techniques, exercise, and electrical therapies. They generally treat neck and back pain, arthritis, sciatica, strain injury, swelling in joints, sports injuries, and ligament, tendon and cartilage damage.
If you are suffering from severe shoulder pain and you do not have definite idea about whom you should visit, here are few points which might help you to understand the mode of treatment.
If you go to Chiropractic Care
- The treatment time will generally take 5 to 30 minutes depending on the type of pain.
- Chiropractor might check your shoulder by doing some orthopedic tests.
- They will check specific part of the spine where the nerve is connected to the shoulder. To them it might be the reason for your injury.
- Chiropractors manipulate your spine which helps to relax your nerves so that they can have better control on your shoulder.
- You are usually asked to visit the professional 2 or 3 times per week for three to four weeks.
If you go to Physiotherapist
- The treatment time may vary from 15 to 30 minutes.
- The therapist might do certain orthopedic test and ultrasound to assess your shoulder depending on the severity of the pain.
- Specific exercises will be given to strengthen your weak part.
- The treatment has lesser amount of hands-on work.
- You are generally asked to visit 2-3 times a week for 8-10 treatments.
So in case you are suffering from severe pain just visit a doctor for professional examination. Depending on the severity and condition of pain, the practitioner will advise you the best treatment suitable for you. It is preferable to choose knowledgeable, trusted and friendly therapist so that he can provide the best quality treatment required for the pain.