Chiropractic care is a kind of a system of medicine or care which is mostly related to musculosketal and nervous system disorders. Chiropractic care is mostly directed to the care of neck, back and joint pains. It also helps to treat headaches and offers various benefits to patients.
Chiropractic medicine offers a drug free treatment for acute and chronic pain and is a safe and effective. But like every coin has a flipside, so does chiropractic care. It is true that there are many positives of this form of care, there are also several negatives which are linked to it. The following are the pros and cons of chiropractic care or chiropractic medicine:
- Chiropractic care and medicine is both a cost effective form of care and a safe form of medicine. It is a safe alternative to several other forms of treatment for chronic pain like surgery and the use of medication.
- Chiropractic care consists of a common method called spinal manipulation and this treatment method is considered very effective for spinal pain. Not only does it reduce the pain but also decreases the reliance of addictive and harmful pain medications.
- Chiropractic care is often recommended as the first line of treatment for acute lower back pains in adults and this is another positive associated with it.
- Some of the conditions which are treated very well with the help of chiropractic care include arthritis, migraine and tension headaches, fibromyalgia, acute spinal injury, spine pain of the neck, leg and upper, lower and middle back.
The Cons of Chiropractic Care
- One of the negatives associated with chiropractic care is that it can cause various degrees of discomfort or stiffness. This discomfort may dissolve within a few days but is still a negative associated with this medicine form.
- Another negative which is often linked to chiropractic care is that not every healthy insurance plan currently covers this form of treatment or care. And without an insurance cover, the visits to the chiropractor can quickly add up and lead to a big fat bill.
- Chiropractic care requires one to visit the doctor or practitioner regularly and this can be inconvenient for many especially those who are dealing with acute pain and other forms of disabilities. This is thus not an ideal form of treatment for everyone and is another negative.
- Another negative associated with chiropractic care is that those people who have certain medical conditions like bone cancer, acute gout, bone or joint fracture etc. are not the best candidates for spinal manipulation.
- Another fact that can be considered as a negative as far as chiropractic care is concerned is that it can cause soreness and potential to damage bones.
- Chiropractic care is also associated with stroke. Neck adjustments have the potential to result in strokes and this is yet another negative. This risk may not be high but chiropractic care has lead to torn arteries in some of the cases.