Sometimes your toenail may have problems of yellowing, thickening or breaking of toenails. This happen when a specific condition called Onychomycosis happens. This is also known as toenail fungus and can be painful or inflammatory. There can be a number of reasons for this fungal attack, namely, poor hygiene of the foot, toe being exposed to moisture for a long period etc. There are a number of herbal remedies that can get rid of this situation, without any side effects, unlike their medical counterparts.
Top 6 Herbal Cure for Toenail Fungus
Here are 6 herbal cures for your toenail which might be suffering from fungal attack.
- Tea tree oil- This oil is well known for its antibacterial and anti fungal properties, and thus it can get rid of the fungus attacking your toe nails. In order to treat the effected finger, mix some tea tree oil with olive or coconut oil and apply to the affected nails with the help of cotton balls. Keep it for 10 minutes or so and then scrub the oil off with the help of a toothbrush. This should be done at least twice daily for some days.
- Extract of Olive leaf– Olive leaf extract, if taken regular in the form of a supplement, it not only cures the toenail fungus, it also helps you balance your cholesterol. It has antibacterial, and anti viral properties. Since it also helps you detox, for the initial period it may feel not so great when you take it.
- Oregano oil- Among other things, Oregano oil is also quite effective when it comes to treating the fungal infection on your toe nails. It is analgesic, antibacterial, anti viral etc., among other things. Mix some oregano oil with olive oil and put it on the affected nail. Wait for 30 minutes or so, and wash it off.
- Orange oil- Apart from the oregano oil, there is also orange oil, which is also anti fungal and works quite well on the toenail fungus. With a dropper, pour a few drops of orange oil on your affected nail and let it absorb the oil for an hour or so. However, do keep in mind that orange oil is strong and the people with sensitive skin might not be able to use it directly. In such cases, mix it with oils such as olive oil to dilute the orange oil.
- Lavender oil- This is also important anti fungal oil which can solve the problem of fungus infected area. Use this oil overnight on the effected nail and keep it soaked. Remember not to wear synthetic socks during this time.
- Apple Cider Vinegar- Another effective cure for toenail fungus is apple cider vinegar. Dilute the liquid by adding some water in it and put your feet in the water. If done regularly this will definitely work.
If the problem continues even after following these types of cure, then you must go to a doctor to get your toenail fungus treated.