Posted on Aug 16, 2010 | Comments 0
Herbal supplements are fast becoming an alternative to achieve a healthy life. Many people use herbal supplements to treat health conditions as well as promote the well being of the user. With this emerging trend, there are a number of herbal supplements available in the market which claims of a good number of health benefits.
Herbal supplement comes from an herb which can be a plant or its plant part like seeds, flowers or leaves, which are used because of its therapeutic properties.
Among its variety is the medicinal herb supplement, which is used to prevent or treat certain diseases. It comes in capsules and pills and others can be used in cooking foods, and some are used as creams and pastes.
Things to consider before using an herbal supplement
With a good number of herbal supplements available, all of which are claiming numerous benefits for your health, it is necessary to consider the following points before purchasing your herbal supplement to meet your needs.
- Inform your health care provider should you wish to use herbal supplement to guarantee safety in your health needs. As such, it is equally important to note the following:
- Inquire if the herbal supplement will have other effects if taken with a prescriptive or over the counter medications.
- Be extra cautious in taking herbal supplement especially if you are about to undergo a surgery or pregnant or a nursing mom, it might have certain effects in your medications and might have contrary effects and response to your treatment.
- Many of these supplements should be taken cautiously because only few of them are not recommended for children and those older than 65, owe to the user’s body content and metabolism processes.
- Be informed that many herbal supplements are not strictly regulated, as such; manufacturers are not duty-bound to guarantee the effectiveness of their product. However, manufacturers should strictly adhere to manufacturing standards to guarantee that it has complied with the necessary regulations concerning quality and to keep contaminants or pesticides away from the supplements.
- It is very important that you read the label to know its contents like vitamins, minerals and other ingredients which will help you. In case you do not understand any of the contents of the supplements, inquire from the pharmacist or your doctor for clarification. It is better to ask than be sorry later.
Herbal supplement may be safe for anybody to use but there are things you need to bear in mind before taking any of them. Should you decide to try and use herbal supplements it is equally important to remember the following:
- Faithfully follow the instructions for taking the supplements. Do not exceed the dosages or take it for longer period than those recommended.
- Take one herbal supplement one at a time and take note of its effects on you. Should there be no result, it is advisable that you discontinue using it.
- Research your herbal supplement provider. Do not purchase products which have record of serious health side effects or those containing prescription drugs or contaminants.
- Be informed with the latest review and regulations issued by the proper governmental agencies regarding the supplements.
Posted in: Herbal Medicine