Posted on Nov 07, 2013 | Comments 0
Herbal weight loss pills are those pills which help a person in reducing weight or curbing the appetite which in turn leads to weight loss. These pills are made by using certain herbs, some of which may include green tea extract, bitter orange and an ingredient such as hydroxycitric acid. Most people consider these pills to be harmless, due to their herbal nature and natural ingredients but what they fail to understand is that there are many herbal weight loss pills side effects as well. To understand more about these side effects, you can read the following given information.
Major Side Effects
- One of the major side effect of a herbal weight loss pill containing green tea extract is that it can be toxic for the liver, and more so if it is taken on an empty stomach.
- Most of the herbal weight loss pills also contain hydroxycitic acid which is often given the status of being a hepatoxin or a substance that is poisonous to the stomach; though this claim is still being debated. Infact many studies have shown that this acid is not even an effective weight loss agent.
- Bitter orange, another common ingredient of many herbal weight loss pills, can also cause many side effects and these include heart attack, stroke and even death.
- Lipozene, which is a common herbal weight loss supplement, too has many side effects associated with it. It is not only difficult to swallow but also causes changes in blood sugar levels. This pill is often associated with other side effects such as cramping, stomach pains, severe levels of diarrhoea and allergic reactions like itching, skin rashes, hives, wheezing and swelling on face etc.
Other Common Side Effects
- One common side effect of taking a herbal weight loss pill is fainting.
- Another common side effect of a herbal weight loss supplement or pill is loose, oily stools.
- Malabsorption of nutrients is yet another side effect caused by a herbal weight loss pill.
- Continued usage of herbal weight loss pills by a person may increase the risk of gastrointestinal, psychiatric and cardiovascular symptoms.
- Herbal weight loss pills may also give rise to several diseases such as hypertension and in some extreme cases-even seizures.
Posted in: Herbal Medicine