Reflexology massage or zone therapy is particularly a healing art by applying pressure (using the hand, fingers and especially the thumbs).
This massage is specifically done to feet, hands and some times even to the ears. It activates the acupoints which are interrelated to the organs in the body.
That is why reflexology massage is showing positive impact on promoting self-healing capabilities.
Reflexology massage is suited for people of both sexes and all ages. The process of Reflexology massage not only relieves pain but also alleviates the source of pain.
Reflexology is a system that activates 7000 nerve endings in the legs (if preferred Reflexology massage in the leg) and additionally addresses the nerves located in the hands (if preferred in the hand).
No tools (other than hand), especially artificial equipments are not used to accomplish the process of the massage. Oil, cream and stick are used to carry out the process of massage. Other than these things, no other item is used to carry out the process of massage.
How and where reflexology massage is done?
Massage is done to hands, feet and ears. Find out how the massage is done here.
Foot Reflexology Massage: The preparation is simple. Feet are soaked in warm water added with Epsom salt. This process will de-stress the foot before you start the massage. The feet are dried thoroughly, including the toes.
Oil or cream is applied on the legs; this is done for the free movement of hand or fingers of the massager. Then the massage is done in stroking, pressing and rotating techniques.
Hand Reflexology Massage: The same process which is done to foot is also done to hands including the palms. TCM believes that there are predefined points in the palm also.
Ear Reflexology Massage: The traditional Chinese medicine (TCM) believes that there are pressure points in the ear flap too. Activating these points will also influence the nerves system.
So the massage is also done to the ear with bare hand and with small pressing and rotating techniques. The massage is done with fingers, especially thumb and index finger.
Benefits of Reflexology massage:
- The blood circulation will be boosted.
- Relieves pain and stiffness caused due to the over exercising or using a muscle for a long period of time.
- Prevents many symptoms such as head ache, stress, asthma, sinusitis, migraine and constipation.
- The body functions will be naturally turned into its own state of equilibrium.
Limitations and Restrictions in having Reflexology massage:
- The massage should be done by a qualified physician – as the wrong reflexology or reflections in the massage will lead to muscle infections.
- It is prescribed to have the reflexology massage only after one hour of the meal.
- After the process of the massage, it’s prescribed to drink large quantity of water to eliminate toxins which are developed during the process.
- The masseur and the client should avoid washing hair, hands, and feet. Also avoid taking bath. After the session, there is a chance that the skin pores will be opened due to the massage, at this stage interacting with water can lead to coldness.
- Pregnant women, menstrual women and people who have problems related with bleeding either internally or externally should give up the idea of having reflexology massage.
- You can have the session every day but limit the session only to 45 minutes.
- Patients suffering from heart related problems or who suffered from heart attacks should limit their sessions to 10 minutes only.