Reflexology is an ancient Asian technique of healing which involves the technique of applying the appropriate pressure to specific points, especially on the feet, hands, or ears. These specific areas have reflex points that can relate to different body organs and systems and when they are pressed, the respective organ has the beneficial effect.
Reflexology can also help in inducing labor; the experts believe that reflexology, or putting pressure on specific nerve points can help in the process of labor. Also, there are ways of massaging specific points to help reduce the pain of labor. Let us see how reflexology is helpful for the would be mothers, before child birth –
Reflexology and Labor: How Does it Work?
At times pregnant women have problems in the initiation of labor. In such cases, it is believed that putting pressure on specific parts of the body of the mother helps in the induction of labor by increasing the contraction. But how exactly does it work?
Reflexology as said above, stimulates the particular pressure points to ease the pregnant woman and makes the labor process less painful. Below given are the particular points which when stimulated can help pregnant women to go into labor –
- The large intestine 4 point is known as one of the most conducive points that can induce labor. This spot is located on the palm of the hand, between the index finger and the thumb. Putting steady pressure on it for some time leads to contractions in many women. You must stop rubbing the area when on contraction starts, and then restart again when it passes.
- The pituitary gland is another important point, massaging which in the right way can induce labor. In order to apply pressure on the gland, reflexologists massage the sole of the feet, especially on the center. The pituitary gland is known to release oxytocin, the hormone which is essentially for inducing labor. Sometimes the contractions in the woman starts immediately, while in other cases this might take several hours. A few women also experience a little blood discharge.
- Adrenaline gland is another area, massaging which can lead to labor in a pregnant woman who is about to give birth very soon. This hormone is known to provide the body with strength and endurance, help the immune system, and basically provide assistance to the body so that it can cope well with the imminent stress of child birth.
- Massaging spleen 6, which is known to be located near the ankle, helps in the process of labor too. Massaging the inner sides of the ankles using 3 or 4 fingers help in stimulating the contractions essential for the birth of a baby.
- Bladder 32 is a pressure point that is located at the back and can also be used to induce labor.
Child birth is undoubtedly a stressful event, but with the help of reflexology, you can ensure that the labor is less strenuous, since it helps in calming down of the body, and make the process of child birth easier.