Reflexology foot massage is the art of touch therapy wherein pressure is applied to various areas in the feet.
It dates back to ancient times, as the Chinese have discovered that nerves in the feet are connected to various internal organs, and hence problems in these organs can be cured by applying pressure on the nerve endings.
Reflexology foot massage has then been recognized as a non-invasive and simple procedure that allows stimulation to internal organs.
There is a chart that is followed by all therapists and practitioners of reflexology foot massage, which indicates which organs of the body, are connected to different areas in the foot.
If extreme pain or discomfort is felt when pressure is applied to areas on the foot, it helps the therapist determine the cause of the problem even if there are no other symptoms that present itself. It is recommended for anyone, from children to seniors, as a safe, holistic method of treatment.
Reflexology foot massage is widely known for its effectiveness. Here are some of its numerous benefits:
- It brings about equilibrium and achieves a state of homeostasis for the body, wherein all systems are functioning properly and effectively.
- Reflexology is helpful in curing a number of problems, such as headaches, fatigue, sleep disorders, appetite problems, asthma, digestive problems, sinusitis, and constipation.
- Overall improved blood circulation, which also brings about strengthened immune system as it allows free flow of the lymph fluids throughout the body.
- Relieves pain and stiffness brought about by sports injuries, exercise, or improper posture.
- Patients will feel a heightened sense of relaxation and well-being emotionally and mentally as a result of reflexology foot massage.
- You will be able to eliminate toxins in your system after a massage, and drinking water after your session will be a great help in doing so.
One of the best things about reflexology foot massage is that it has no side effects. However, some precautions should be taken in certain cases:
- The massage should only be done after at least one hour following a meal.
- Pregnant women, those menstruating, and those who are experiencing internal bleeding are advised not to do reflexology foot massage.
- Within one hour of the reflexology foot massage session, it is not recommended to wet your feet with cold water as this will result in tightening of pores and compacting of the muscles to keep the body warm.
You can also enjoy the benefits of reflexology foot massage regularly even if you are not experiencing any pain or physical discomfort you want to cure.
Many patients do it as they enjoy the feeling of relaxation after each session, and because it also promotes overall well-being and healthy circulation.
In fact, doing so regularly will greatly contribute to your internal and mental health, because it ensures that your internal systems are healthy. Reflexology foot massage is one of the best ways you can take care of yourself today.