Tai chi is an ancient Chinese martial art form that has gained popularity during the last few years. Recently, it has been claimed that this age old meditation technique can also help in curing a few diseases like Parkinson’s disease, chronic heart failure, depression, even type 2 diabetes.
How far this is correct is still being studied by doctors, and it is generally advised that they don’t recommend Tai Chi to their patients before they had read about it quite extensively. Let us also know a bit about how Tai Chi can help people who are suffering from type 2 diabetes.
Tai Chi as a Cure for Diabetes:
Tai Chi is an old Chinese style where through meditation and slow body movements the body as whole becomes relaxed. Recently two studies conducted in Britain and published in a sports journal have argued that this process improves the blood glucose level in people suffering from type 2 diabetes. Similar research has been done in Florida with the result not too different.
- The Florida study has argued that adults who have type diabetes can lower the level of glucose through a supervised Tai Chi programme. It has been claimed that if you are suffering from this type of diabetes, and if you continue to take Tai Chi lessons two days a week with three days of home practice, you will be able to control your diabetes better.
- According to the author of the study, tai Chi is good option for patients who do not like to exercise. Since the movements in Tai Chi are slow and fluid it is helpful for people who cannot move fast. Since it relaxes the nerves, the patients generally like its calming effects on the body. People having weak joints and muscles also like Tai Chi since it is easier on their bodies.
- Tai Chi has the same effect in lowering blood sugar levels just like aerobics. But unlike aerobics, it is not too tiring, and does not require you to huff and puff. Also if you do aerobics, Tai Chi can increase your ability in that kind of exercise.
Apart from its positive contribution in lowering the blood sugar level, Tai chi also has some added advantages. These are as follows.
- Tai Chi is a technique which is invigorating and relaxing at the same time, thus stimulating your intellectual and spiritual faculties too. Its meditative qualities help you to increase your concentrating power and focus if you continue to do it for a duration of time.
- Moreover, Tai Chi can be very affective when it comes to reducing stress. It is known to all that how stress negatively affect the blood sugar condition. Therefore by reducing stress it is easier for a patient to keep a check on the blood pressure as well. According to Tai Chi enthusiasts, another reason that this system comes across as a stress reliever because it teaches you to listen to what your body has to tell you.
- Some people also claim that practicing Tai Chi actually helps you to develop better eating habits.