Posted on May 22, 2008 | Comments 0
Pranayama is basically the science of breath control. It mainly contains sequence of workouts intended in attaining your body’s requirements and keeps you in vibrant health. Pranayama comes from the following wordings:
- Prana – Life energy or life force
- Yama – Control or discipline
- Ayama – Non-restraint, expansion or extension
The four stages of pranayama include:
Commencement stage: In this stage, your interest towards pranayama is awakened.
Merging of three sariras: At this stage, the three sariras merge to surround the soul, the three sariras include: subtle, gross and causal
Experiencing the knowledge of pranayama: In this stage, the yogi experiences the knowledge of pranayama
Changing physical body postures: In this stage, the yogi goes away from his physical body and gets mixed with the supreme.
Major benefits of pranayama:
Breathing is a very natural part of our life. Knowing this, most of us fail to pay attention to it. This is an autonomic functioning of the body that we can perform even without concentrating on it. Here are the reasons why you need to learn pranayama:
- Pranayama helps to learn how to breathe properly. Most usually we used to breathe from our chest and only by using a part of lungs. This unnatural and unhealthy method of breathing leads to various complications.
- With regular practice of pranayama, you can enhance your lung capacity and supply more oxygen to the body in order to function well. In pranayama practice, you will learn how to breathe deeply and slowly and in the right way.
- Pranayama greatly reduces the wastes and toxins from your body. It saves you from getting affected with severe illnesses.
- This yoga breathing greatly improves your digestive power. With right breathing methods, you will observe great improvement in your health condition and metabolism.
- There is a great enhancement in your concentration and focus. Pranayama fights against your stress and relaxes your body. Breathing control results in serenity and peace of mind.
- You will get better self-control on your body. With the help of concentration, you can effectively handle reactions and temper. Your mind works clearly, and also reduces the wrong opinions and decisions.
- Pranayama greatly helps in attaining relaxed mind and body.
- It will greatly strengthen your immune system.
- It increases your lung capacity.
- Enhances physical control of your body.
- Learning the healthy breathing techniques helps in improving the body conditions like: low or high blood pressure, allergy, asthma, hyperactivity, chronic pain, insomnia, and stress-related heart conditions.
- Learning to breathe deeply and smoothly can ensure that you maintain the appropriate levels of carbon dioxide and oxygen in your body.
- Increases your metabolic rate. Allowing healthy digestion will improve your whole health of the body and mind.
Proper concentration is the basis for pranayama, otherwise it can lead to nervous breakdown. It is one of the most important parts of yoga process. Proper preparation and guidance are essential for cleansing your body and mind.
Posted in: Yoga