Turmeric has been long known to have several anti-inflammatory and medicinal properties. This natural herb has a warm and bitter flavor and is known to be a popular ingredient of many curries and other food items. This is the herb which adds its bright yellow color to many dishes. Turmeric has many important properties and is used in both the Indian and Chinese systems of medicine.
As an anti-inflammatory agent, turmeric is known to treat many conditions including jaundice, menstrual difficulties, flatulence and toothache etc. To know more about the benefits of turmeric, you can read the following given points:
- Turmeric is considered to be an effective treatment method for inflammatory bowel disease which is also known as IBD. Some of these disorders include Crohn’s and ulcerative colitis. It is found that turmeric helped in easing the typical signs of colitis. This happens as turmeric helps in the inhibition of the main cellular inflammatory agent called NF Kappa B.
- Turmeric is also known to treat rheumatoid arthritis as it has strong antioxidant effects. It is able to neutralize the chemicals as well as the free radicals which cause the painful joint inflammation and eventually tend to damage the joints, especially in the case of women. Turmeric has a dual function of anti inflammatory properties and antioxidant properties which helps in easing the joint pain. It helps to reduce joint stiffness, joint swelling and lengthens the waking time of a person suffering from arthritis.
- Turmeric is also known to help those persons who are suffering from cystic fibrosis. Curcumin, which is a major ingredient of Turmeric, is responsible for curing cystic fibrosis. Cystic fibrosis is a fatal disease which attacks the lungs and causes life threatening infections in people.
- Turmeric is also known to prevent cancer in some cases. Turmeric enhances the functions of the liver and helps in inhibiting the synthesis of a protein which is known to cause tumor formation.
- Some other benefits of turmeric include preventing colon cancer, halting prostate cancer, reducing the risk of leukemia in children and providing cardiovascular protection. Turmeric also helps in lowering cholesterol and providing protection against diseases such as Alzheimer’s etc.