Massage therapy is known to have several health and other benefits for humans. Massage is known to simulate the blood circulation and thus treat various types of aches, pains and physical difficulties. Moreover, it is also known to treat anxiety and depression, which happens to be one of the most important benefits of massage therapy. The following are some of the main benefits of massage therapy for anxiety and depression:
- Massage treatment directly helps with the feelings of depression and anxiety. It tends to increase the feelings of energy and helps alleviates anxiety. It targets the physical symptoms which occur due to the reaction of a person to the anxiety.
- Another reason why massage therapy is so beneficial for curing anxiety and depression is because it reduces the cortisol levels. Cortisol is a stress hormone, which when reduced leads to reduction in heart rate, anxiety and the problem of increased blood pressure.
- Massage therapy or treatment can also affect the neurotransmitters found in the brain which thereby leads to an increase in the serotonin dopamine levels. This increase helps in the reduction of depression.
- Massage therapy also leads to an increase in energy which infuses a sense of confidence in the person, thereby decreasing a certain degree of anxiety and the feeling of depression.
- The combined effect of caring attention and focused hand massage treatment can lead to the shift in the brain signals to a more calm state, thus reducing anxiousness in a person. Moreover the tactile stimulation also helps in treating the depression since it is known that humans are biologically programmed to respond to touch.
Living with anxiety or depression is not only harmful for the mind but also for the body. Prolonged depression can start affecting a person physically, thus leading to several physical issues and pains. For this reason, it is even more important to treat it at the right time and using the right method, one of which is massage therapy.
The benefit of massage therapy is that one does not need any prescription to avail the treatment. But the practitioner who gives you the massage therapy must be licensed and knowledgeable about the right technique and method. These therapists must also familiarize him with common health problems so as to provide the best possible treatment. They must inform the client about the way they are going to tackle the problem for maximum benefit.