Hot stone massage is a specialty massage that can be performed by using smooth, heated stones. The stones are often basalt, i.e. black volcanic rocks that absorb and preserve heat well.
Hot stone massage is a relaxing and deeply soothing form of massage. The heat helps to release and relax the tightened muscles.
What will you experience during hot stone massage?
- Before your arrival, usually the therapist cleanses the stones and keeps them in the water at the temperature of 120-150 degrees.
- Basically, the therapist uses usual strokes of Swedish massage though grasping the heated stone. Whenever the stone cools down, the therapist replaces it with another one.
- Sometimes, the therapist keeps the heated stones at particular points along the spine, between the toes or in the palms of your hand. This helps to rejuvenate your body [Chinese massage to rejuvenate your body].
- If you are suffering with any muscle injury or inflammation, then the practitioner uses cold stones.
During the massage technique, you need to lie on a series of flat cool and hot stones or on a couch, which are covered by using a thick towel to trace the spine. Sometimes, the practitioner applies oil to your skin and moves smoothly the stones across your body’s meridians.
In some treatment methods, large stones are placed on your hands, palms and on the body. The stones in coin size are lightly wedged between the toes. Heated chakra stones help to balance and align chief energy centers, thus benefiting your whole body [Shiatsu massage for energy restoration].
How can you benefit from hot stone massage?
Hot stone massage gives you variety of benefits like:
- It releases toxins from your body.
- This type of massage improves the circulation.
- It offers tissues and deep muscle relaxation.
- It alleviates stress from the joints, tissues and muscles.
- The massage technique calms the psyche.
- It effectively alleviates pain from your body.
Medical conditions that can be treated with hot stone massage include:
- Rheumatic and arthritic conditions
- Anxiety, stress and tension
- Back pain
- Muscular pains and aches
- Circulatory problems
- Multiple sclerosis
In some cases, cold stones can also be used to help muscular injury and inflammation. Warm stones help to expand your blood vessels, thus helping to move the blood faster around your body and also sedating the nervous system.
Cold stones help to stimulate your nervous system by causing the blood vessels to contract and increasing the lymph flow of waste material around the body.
This revolutionary new technique helps many people in fighting against physical disorders and it changes the way you live. Even if you don’t have any serious injuries instead of work-related stress, this hot stone massage gives you great comfort and relaxation.
Sometimes, the heat raises your blood pressure temporarily, so pregnant women and people who have hypertension must avoid this massage technique.